HOBOKEN, N.J. (Oct. 29, 2022) – The Stevens Institute of Technology field hockey team defeated Union College in overtime by a score of 3-2 on Saturday afternoon. Senior Lynda Farinella scored the game winner in fitting fashion as the Ducks celebrated their seniors before the game.
Both teams were able to create some offensive looks in the opening quarter of play. The Ducks and the Dutchwomen each had three total shots and one shot on goal and Stevens had a 4-3 advantage in penalty corners. Despite the pressure from the Ducks, it was Union who struck first and took the early lead. Emily Dawson found the back of the net for the Dutchwomen and the score was 1-0 after 15 minutes.
The second quarter was scoreless, but Union continued to put pressure on Stevens. The Dutchwomen led in shots 6-1 and fifth-year goalkeeper Emily Franco made two saves to keep the deficit at just one goal. Each side earned one penalty corner opportunity but were unable to capitalize and Union led 1-0 at half.
The third quarter got off the ground quickly and the Dutchwomen scored just 37 seconds into the action to extend their lead to 2-0. After that, Stevens began to mount a comeback. Junior Dani Hessels cut into the lead ten minutes into the quarter and was assisted by sophomore Emily Smart. One minute later, the Ducks scored again and this time it was first-year Gabi Moroney who intercepted a pass from the defense and tied the game at 2-2 on an unassisted effort.
After an action-packed third, the fourth quarter was scoreless. Franco made three saves to keep Stevens in the game and the two sides went into overtime tied 2-2. Farinella proved to be the hero in overtime as she scored two minutes into the action and gave the Ducks a 3-2 win to close out the regular season.
Stevens improved to 12-7 overall with the win and Union fell to 11-6
Inside the Numbers
- Stevens led in shots by a total of 19 to 13 and they led in penalty corners by a total of 19 to 5.
- Franco made five saves in the game and earned the win between the pipes.
- The Ducks were able to avenge their loss against the Dutchwomen from last season when they fell by a score of 3-2 in overtime on the road.
- Stevens travels to Glenside, Pa., for a MAC Freedom Semifinal against Arcadia University on Wednesday night a 7 p.m.
- The Ducks fell to the Knights by a score of 4-0 in their regular season matchup on Oct. 19.